WELCOME!

These are the thoughts of a cantankerous ol' gynecologist who remembers when things were a little different. I try to find a little humor in my life and the people I meet along the way. Come meet the characters in my world.

Monday, November 28, 2011

Family and Holidays – Therapy or Not?


Most families have certain holidays or occasions where they gather as a group.  It may be only weddings and funerals.  In some families, it’s every Sunday for “dinner”.  Now that we are more geographically spread, I think my family doesn’t get together as often as it did before.

I really enjoyed Thanksgiving.  I hadn’t seen everyone since last Christmas.  I’m not sure exactly how many people were there.  I’m guessing around 40.  That may include the dogs (2 or more) and cat (1?). 

You would think this would be complete chaos.  However, I grew up in a house with 4 brothers and 2 sisters.  There were always people in and out.  Holidays have always been like this.  Since we weren’t at my house, I got to enjoy watching, help where I could, and get caught up with what everyone was doing.  It was like a great big warm hug.

My autistic son, I think, suffers a bit from all the people.  He has learned to bring a video game system and games.  We have learned to find a place for him to set up and be “separate” and quiet.  He sets a departure time before we get there.  I am never ready to go. 

This time we forgot his coat.  He fussed and fussed when we discovered this.  I called my sister.  They had found it after we left.  We agreed to wait until Saturday to exchange Mr. Impatient’s coat.  No way was I going out on Black Friday.

Imagine my surprise when my brother-in-law came to my door on Friday.  He had ridden an hour and a half on his motorcycle to bring us the jacket.  He said my sister was having a group of women over for a Black Friday card making party.  He had to get out!  I think it was a gorgeous day for riding in the mountains.

Mr. Impatient had a grin on his face for the rest of the day.  So did I.  Isn’t family great?

No comments: