WELCOME!

These are the thoughts of a cantankerous ol' gynecologist who remembers when things were a little different. I try to find a little humor in my life and the people I meet along the way. Come meet the characters in my world.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Parenting Triplet Babies – 2

Feeding Time
I had a pediatrician who made the comment about one of my children: “If he doesn’t want to eat, don’t feed him.”  I believe the doc was implying that my child was overweight.
My babies started out a bit on the scrawny side, at about 4 ½ pounds each, and 18 ½ inches long.  They were 6 weeks early, but did well.  Once they figured out how to eat (a common problem with preemies), they haven’t stopped.
I NEVER played those “airplane” games, or any other games with my kids once they had learned to eat.  I took home one of my exam stools from my office.  I lined the boys up in their high chairs.  I had one bowl and one spoon. 
Whoever was on the left got the first spoonful.  I moved down the line.  By the time I got to the end, the first guy was ready again.  When the mouth didn’t open, I figured the little “monkey” – er – “angel” was finished eating, and skipped him.  When no more mouths opened, we were done.  Mouths and fingers got washed, they got down and we went on to the next thing.
I guess you can imagine the look on my face when the pediatrician said what he said.  Force feed a child?  Who on earth had time for that????????  What was he thinking?  I believe my jaw hit the floor!  It still makes my brain hurt.
I was never so happy as when they figured out how to hold a spoon or hit their mouths with those Cheerios!


No comments: