WELCOME!

These are the thoughts of a cantankerous ol' gynecologist who remembers when things were a little different. I try to find a little humor in my life and the people I meet along the way. Come meet the characters in my world.

Friday, October 28, 2011

“I Need to Speak to the Doctor”

If you PROVOKE PRINCESS – Here’s Your Potential Penalty 6

Princess loves to answer the phone and hear:

“I need to speak to the doctor.”

Usually the caller doesn’t even identify himself or herself.  They don’t say where they are calling from.  They don’t want to tell Princess what they are calling about. 

This is not a new problem.  It has been happening since I first started practice.  Remember that I am a gynecologist.  It is funny that not all the callers that do this are female.  It is never a family member.  It is never another doctor or doctor’s office.  They always identify themselves and tell Princess what they want.

Examples of who it might be include (but are not limited to)

·        A patient wanting an appointment

·        A sales person

·        A family member of a patient wanting information.  We cannot, by law or ethically, give this out.

·        An “anonymous friend” wanting to tell us something about a patient.  I really hate these people.  If you can’t leave your name and phone number, why should I believe anything you say about someone?

I absolutely don’t understand it.

I can also tell you right now that, if you aren’t willing to tell Princess who you are, where you are calling from and what you want, the call stops right here. 


No comments: