WELCOME!

These are the thoughts of a cantankerous ol' gynecologist who remembers when things were a little different. I try to find a little humor in my life and the people I meet along the way. Come meet the characters in my world.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Stereotypes and diseases – only guidelines


Gout is that disease that old men who drink lots of wine get, right?  Their big toe gets sore and they get cranky.  It’s not supposed to run in families. 

I just love stereotypes.  My first gout attack happened in my early 40s.  I had switched some medications around and developed pain in one of my ankles.  I had no idea what this pain was.  I went to see my orthopedist about my knee.  I asked him about my ankle and, voila! A diagnosis of gout. 

Female

 Just barely in the age range (40-60)

Positive family history

Ankle

I get .25 out of 4.  But I still have the disease.

I learned about gout, which is controlled by diet mostly.  I behaved myself, and didn’t have another attack until I had an “indiscretion” around my 50th birthday.  Everyone asked what I wanted for my birthday, and I answered “lobster”.  Not a good thing in my situation.

I have been really good since then.  The pain is so nasty that I’ll do anything to avoid it.  I have no idea why my MIDDLE toe turned red and got really sore a couple of weeks ago.  I thought I had an infection.  Gout never hit that joint before.  And I have been behaving myself.  Really.

Walking has been “exquisite pain”.  That’s a lovely doctor’s phrase.  I’ll let you all contemplate what that means.  I understand why the pictures have the old guy with his foot up.

Just remember, stereotypes don’t always fit the disease.  Remember that the disease doesn’t always manifest itself the same way every time. 

I’ll go heat my foot and take my new medicine.  Just contemplating going upstairs (ouch!)

No comments: