WELCOME!

These are the thoughts of a cantankerous ol' gynecologist who remembers when things were a little different. I try to find a little humor in my life and the people I meet along the way. Come meet the characters in my world.

Friday, March 30, 2012

Doctor’s Day

Doctor’s Day
March 30, Every Year

Today is the day you need to thank your doctor.  We have had this day set aside since 1933.  It is not generally recognized by people outside the medical community.  Most hospitals and large clinics will have a breakfast or lunch for their physicians.  The symbol for the day is the red carnation. 

The origin of Doctor’s Day was in Winder, Georgia.  Eudora Brown Almond decided to set aside a day to honor her husband, Dr. Charles B. Almond, and the other physicians who worked alongside him.  They mailed greeting cards and placed flowers on the graves of deceased doctors.   

In 1958, a Resolution Commemorating Doctor’s Day was adopted by the United States House of Representatives.  In 1990, legislation was introduced in the House and Senate to establish a national Doctor’s Day.  On October 30, 1990, President George Bush signed S.J. RES. #366 (which became Public Law 101-473) designating March 30 as “National Doctor’s Day”.

Today I would like to say thank you to all my teachers, my contemporaries, and those who follow behind.  Medicine is at a difficult stage right now.  With all the frustrations that we have experienced recently, I still find it rewarding and enriching.  I can’t imagine doing anything else.




No comments: