WELCOME!

These are the thoughts of a cantankerous ol' gynecologist who remembers when things were a little different. I try to find a little humor in my life and the people I meet along the way. Come meet the characters in my world.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Autism and Emergencies

This is an interesting video about helping autistic people in case of emergency. 


The man who developed the program is a fire fighter with an autistic son.  He explains how most autistic people are fixated on their routines.  An emergency is definitely out of their routine.  They get excited.  I would say agitated.

Many autistics cannot speak or communicate properly.  When they are upset, they may make funny noises, abnormal gestures like “flapping”, run around, or be absolutely still.  To calm them down, one technique is the “bear hug”.  It works on my son, Mr. Impatient. 

The video is worth watching. 

No comments: