WELCOME!

These are the thoughts of a cantankerous ol' gynecologist who remembers when things were a little different. I try to find a little humor in my life and the people I meet along the way. Come meet the characters in my world.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Autism, the I-Pad and Speech

Personal Reflections

I just watched a story on 60 Minutes about how some schools are using the I-Pad to help autistic children communicate and learn.  It doesn’t work for all of them, but it does work for some.  Most of these children were small.  They looked to be between 4 and 7.

I remember the frustration of trying to unlock communication.  My autistic son didn’t start speaking until he was around six years old.  We tried all kinds of different things.  American Sign Language (ASL) was helpful.  I think something like the I-Pad would have been wonderful if it had been available at that time.  Mr. Impatient is a whiz at computers. 

There were several mothers who talked about how difficult it is to not be able to understand what is inside those little guys.  I could see the tears welling as they talked about their precious children.  Any small progress is like moving mountains.  In fact, I started tearing up as I watched this program.

I still remember the very first time my son said “I love you, Mommy.”  It was one of the sweetest moments.  I waited a long time to hear it.


No comments: